National Woman and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NWGHAAD) is a nationwide initiative recognized on March 10th each year. It raises awareness of the increasing impact of HIV/AIDS on women and girls.
Here at Moveable Feast, 46% of our clients are female. We see firsthand the impact and prevalence of HIV/AIDS on women and girls.
- The proportion of new HIV diagnoses among women in Maryland has more than doubled since 1985: from 15% to 35.3%.
This week, the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH) has partnered with numerous community agencies and organizations to raise awareness of females and HIV/AIDS. Here are some of the HIV awareness events taking place this week:
On Thursday, March 10th:
- 9:00AM-11:00AM. The Infectious Disease and Environmental Health Administration (IDEHA) will hold HIV 101 presentations and displays at Health Care for the Homeless (421 Fallsway)
- 9:00AM-3:00PM. Balto County Health Department will hold a "Create Your Own Shopping Bag" event at the Randallstown Community Center (3505 Resource Dr)
- 10:00AM-12:00PM. Sisters Together And Reaching (STAR) will hold a "Girl Talk" panel at Forest Park High School (3701 Eldorado Ave)
- 11:00AM-2:00PM. Park West Hidden Garden will host a community forum at Park West Health Systems headquarters (3319 W. Belvedere Ave)
On Friday, March 11th: