Our most recent group of culinary students knocked our socks off on their graduation day with this recipe. As per Moveable Feast tradition, the outgoing class is asked to prepare the brunch or lunch for all who attend, and the sweet potato cupcakes were a favorite.
So we thought we'd share the recipe (a number of the staff are biting at the chomp to get this).
|Photo from From Scratch, recipe from Better Home & Gardens|
Sweet Potato Cupcakes
yield: 24 cupcakes
prep: 45 minutes
bake: 350F for 20 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 17.2 ounce can of vacuum-packed sweet potatoes (unsweetened), mashed
1/2 tsp vanilla
Cream cheese frosting (recipe below)
Finely shredded orange peel
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty-four 2 1/2 inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set cups aside.
2. In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low speed after each addition until combined. Add sweet potatoes and vanilla, beating until combined. Add flour mixture; beat until combined (batter will be thick).
4. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake about 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack for 1 minute. Remove from pan and cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
yield: 4 1/3 cups
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 tbs bourbon or milk
8 cups powdered sugar
1. In large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add bourbon or milk and beat until combined. Beat in powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, until smooth.
2. Place frosting in a large resealable plastic bag. Cut a 1/4 inch opening in one corner of bag. Pipe frosting on top of cupcakes. Sprinkle with orange peel.