Black beans, also known as turtle beans, are legumes that are not only rich in flavor, but also in protein and fiber. Health benefits according the World’s Healthiest Food website include:
|Photo Credit: Weelicious|
- Digestive track support
- Blood sugar regulation benefits
- Heart health promotion
- Better regulation of blood sugar
- Antioxidant protection
- Anti-inflammatory benefits
Research shows a correlation between bean consumption and a reduced risk of type 2 diabetes, various cardiovascular diseases, and some types of cancer.
The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend eating 3 cups of legumes per week or ½ cup serving six days per week.
Want to get your first serving today? Try this recipe:
Spicy Black Bean Burrito
You don’t have to go to Chipotle to enjoy a delicious burrito. You can easily make one at home following this 15 minute, extremely delicious recipe (below)!
1/2 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cups or 1 15 oz can (BPA-free) black beans
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
2 whole wheat tortillas
2 oz low-fat cheese
1 cup prepared salsa
goat cheese (optional)
- Dice onions and chop garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health benefits
- Dice bell peppers
- Healthy Sauté onions and bell peppers for 5 minutes
- Add garlic, black beans, olive oil, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste
- Wrap 1/2 of mixture and 1 oz of low-fat cheese into each of the two tortillas
- Top with salsa, and goat cheese (if desired).
The World’s Healthiest Foods website has more info about the nutritional profile of black beans, healthy recipes and the latest news about black beans.